Moving home & your energy supplier
Find out what you need to do when moving home or settling the account of someone who has passed away. If you need more information, get in touch with our friendly team who will be happy to help.
We understand there is lots to think about when moving house, so we’ve made sure it’s a doddle to stay with us in your new home (that way you can continue to enjoy great priced tariffs and exclusive member benefits!).
All you need to do is send an email to email@example.com with the below information. Or you can give us a call on 03455 57 78 78 (option 1) before your moving date, and we’ll talk you through the process.
When you let us know you’re moving, we’ll need to know the following information:
- Your moving out date
- If you know who’s moving in or who will be responsible for the property once you’ve moved
- Your closing meter readings (you’ll send us this after you’ve move out) so we can end your usage at the correct point
Your moving in date (it takes us 21 days to get your new property on supply so the more notice you give us the better)
- Where you’re moving to
- Whether you need gas and/or electricity
- A bit of information on your new place, so we can estimate your usage and adjust your new payment if necessary
- Your opening meter readings (send this once you’ve moved in)
Of course, we’d love to move with you to your new home but if you want to end your Utility Point contract, please email or call us with the following information:
- Your moving out date
- Who’s moving in or who will be responsible for the property once you’ve moved out (if you know this information).
- Your closing meter readings (send us this after you’ve move out). This is so we can end your usage at the correct point and send out an accurate final bill.
Please remember not to cancel your Direct Debit as this can delay your final payment or refund that may be due. You may also be subject to additional charges.
Don’t forget as a Utility Point member you have access to a range of benefits including great savings and rewards programme which you will lose access to when you leave.
If you’ve just moved into a property where Utility Point is the energy supplier, you’ll need to get in touch with us so we can get a few details and switch the account over to you.
As a Utility Point member, not only will you benefit from great priced tariffs, but you’ll also gain access to our exclusive reward programme which gives you great discounts at thousands of popular brands!
We know this is a difficult time and we will do everything we can to support you to get things sorted.
What do I need to do?
To close the account or transfer the name of the account of someone who has died, please get in touch by:
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Writing to us at: Utility Point Ltd, Floor 7 Merck House, Seldown Road, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1TW
We will need to know:
- Details of the person who has passed away – their address, the date they died and their customer reference number if you can find it
- An up to date meter reading for the property
- Details of who is responsible for getting all the affairs in order – their full name, address, and phone number. This will normally be the executor of the will or the administrator
- A certified copy of the death certificate (we cannot return copies)
Instructions for whether you would like to close the account or put it in a different name
We also ask when you expect to get a grant of probate or administration (the right to make decisions about the deceased person’s property) but you do not need this before you can get in touch.
If the owner of a property whose energy supplier is Utility Point has passed away, please get in touch to let us know and one of our bereavement team will explain what you need to do.
What this involves will differ depending on your situation, examples of which you can see below.
There is someone else living at the property
If the person living at the property is already named as an account holder, we can simply change the name on the account.
If they are not named on the account, they will need to get in touch to provide verbal or written consent that we can put the deceased’s account into their name and make the appropriate changes.
The property is going to be sold
We will need a meter reading from as close to when the customer passed away as possible. If you do not have this, we can use a current meter reading, or an estimation based on previous readings.
We will put a hold on the account and send a bill to the solicitors, or the person dealing with the account, so the application for a grant of probate can go ahead.
We won’t contact you unnecessarily at this time, but we will be in touch from time to time for updates on what is happening with the property.
Someone inherited the property
The person who inherited the property will need to set up a new account with us for gas and electricity. Simply email our support team at email@example.com and we’ll sort this out for you.
The property has a pay as you go meter
If the property has a prepayment energy meter, you will need to open a new account with us in the new account holder’s name. To do this, please get in touch with our support team and we’ll send you a new key or card for your meter.
Please be aware, the current key or card might be collecting debt so getting a new card as soon as possible will mean you won’t have to pay for energy that you’re not responsible for.